Friday, May 27, 2016

Book Review: Sula's Voyage by Catherine Torres


Title: Sula's Voyage
Author: Catherine Torres
Publisher: Scholastic
Published: May 27, 2016

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29988414-sula-s-voyage

Fifteen-year-old Sula has always known she is different. Even though her parents have shown her nothing but love and acceptance, she sees her dark skin as a reminder of how she doesn’t fit in with the rest of her family.

What’s worse is she also feels that her parents are hiding something from her. After getting expelled from school, Sula reluctantly goes to stay with her mother’s friends. There she unexpectedly finds herself on a journey of self-discovery — a journey that keeps drawing her to the sea. Sula must not only figure our her parents’ secret, but also just how different, and possibly magical, she really is.
Sula's Voyage is added to my list of favorite books from a Filipino writer. Yes, you read it right. Catherine Torres is a Filipino and she wrote this wonderful book which I enjoyed reading so much. No wonder it is one of the finalist in the Asian Book Awards.

The story of the book is simple but really interesting. The twists and turns of the story is breathtaking. I like how the story goes from smooth to a bit confusing then exciting. To some readers, they might find the story easy to predict but I think that's where the fun comes in. You'll need to have the proof somewhere in the book. The characters are lovely but my favorite? Sula, Pablo and James [SPOILER ALERT!!!! There's a love triangle]

Sula and James' story are the cute one. Typical teenage classroom story, while Sula and Pablo's is the childhood type of love story. I won't continue writing about them because I maybe spoiling every one already. It is hard to control because I really want my readers to know more about them. But to make this short, the story's focus is Sula. Who is she? That's what the readers should find out. She isn't the ordinary teenager that you think of. Sula is a special girl. Her parents kept things from her and tried to hide her true identity but things changed so much. Sula's curiosity can't take the secret anymore. She knows she's different, but she needs the proof, the truth.

Bookworms should read this wonderful story of a girl who's attached in to the ocean. The downfall of the book is... the thing I won't tell you. Just kidding. SULA'S VOYAGE is really a great and light read.

Before I end this I want to thank the author Catherine Torres for giving me the opportunity to review her work and to Scholastic publishing, thank you so much for the copy.

PS. Readers, book is worth it! :)

My Ratings



Catherine Torres (Catherine Rose Torres) is a diplomat and writer from Manila. Her work has taken her to postings in New Delhi, Singapore, and now, Berlin. When foreign affairs, as well as domestic ones, permit, Catherine travels around the world on boats made of words. Occasionally, as with these books, she even builds the boat herself.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...