Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

Title: The Summer I Found You
Author: Jolene Perry
Publisher: Albert Whitman Teen
Date of Publication: March 1, 2014 
Source: ARC from NetGalley

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16094953-the-summer-i-found-you 

Jolene Perry's THE SUMMER I FOUND YOU, about a teenage girl trying to cope with her new diagnosis of type one diabetes and a teenage male veteran who is learning how to embrace his new life after losing an arm, who come together by using each other as an escape, only to discover through love and struggle that your life is what you make of it.



The book is inspiring and wonderful. It is something that you want to look forward to read because it has a good story. It is something that various people deal with every day of their miraculous life and yet there’s still hope in their faces. I like this book because it will make you realize so many things in life. It is easy to read and understand, but at the same time you’ll enjoy every part of it. To tell you the truth while I’m reading this, I put myself in the character’s position, I asked myself what will happen if I’m sick, do I have the courage to tell that to my partner, and how can he cope up? Things will change yes, but I’m so afraid of what will happen. It’s not easy.

Kate Walker, is a high school girl who deals with diabetes. She controls everything she eats and take shots just to control her blood sugar. Everything is in-control and everyone’s watching her, and she doesn’t feel free. Aiden Connelly, is a man who lost his arm in the army. Ever since that incident happen, he doesn’t feel normal anymore (who does? Right?) He’s kind of lost in his life until he met Kate.

Kate is a good lady, yet she’s so stubborn, having parents who really cared for your health is a big thing. But I think she didn’t appreciate that. She didn’t even look forward to her health. She’s selfish in some way, though I understand her, having a lack of freedom sucks! But that kind of disease can’t be ignored. I feel incomprehension to her parents, I know they’re so worried and they want their daughter to be happy and live longer. So in their case they’re doing what is right for her, well, some teenagers really are selfish, and they don’t even think that maybe their parents has point, or maybe they’re right. They care only for their freedom, happiness and their selves. Be considerate sometimes, because parents are really do know that’s best for their children. They’re protective yes, but then people just have to rethink things. Aiden is a cool man but full of pride, he’s fun to be with but full of secrets. Imagine a guy from army and lost his only job because he lost his arm. That’s him. I don’t know how he managed to live like that, but I adore him he still fight for his life though it takes time for him to realize what he wants for it.

Here’s the exciting part, romance. Kate and Aiden had been set up by Jen (Kate’s best friend and Aiden’s cousin). They don’t intend to fall for each other but it just happens. I like their story, it’s something like love at first sight, typical teenage romance but theirs has a twist. They become each other’s safe haven and they changed each other’s life perspective, personally, I like that kind of relationship, you changed for good? It’s really awesome. It doesn’t matter that you fight as long as at the end of the day, you’ll express that they’re important to you no matter what happened. It’s crazy that they make out without Aiden knowing Kate’s condition. Again it’s Kate’s selfishness, but that’s given already and there’s nothing I can do, I’m just happy she changed.

One more thing is that I like Kate’s parents, they’re very supportive and they didn’t judge Aiden instead they thank him for being with their daughter.

I bet I’ve been a spoiler? Sorry about that it’s just that it’s my way to express what kind of book is this. I like it honestly, and I love reading books like this, life changing things. It’s awesome, because somehow in different places this scenario happens in real life.

My Rating

Jolene grew up in South-central Alaska. She’s lived in Anchorage, near the Alyeska ski resort, on a cabin on an island on a lake, and then in a boring old house.

Jolene kissed a boy on her high school graduation night. One she’d wanted to kiss for a long time. They got married two years later, have built two homes together, survived military deployments, law school, student loan debt, and two children.

Jolene plays the guitar, takes pictures, and loves to hike. She doesn’t like rivers, but loves the ocean. She loves to fly, but gets motion sick. Her ultimate vacation would be to sail through the deserted islands in The Bahamas. Two years ago, she got that wish when her parents retired on a sailboat.

She taught high school French when she was only a few years older than her students, and then taught middle school math with her degree in political science and French.

She spends grocery money on designer fabric, shoes, and books.

Jolene cannot express how many times she wished she could write a whole novel. And now she has. Many times. Life is good.
https://twitter.com/authorjolenehttps://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6471427.Jolene_Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...