Monday, September 1, 2014

Book Review: Faking Normal by Courtney Stevens

Title: Faking Normal
Author: Courtney C. Stevens
Published: February 25, 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books





Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.


When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

This book tricked me or I just want to believe it did. Well, look closely at the cover and don't read the blurb. The cover looks like a book where you expected something with fantasy or dystopian, that's the way I see it. But I fell in love with it anyway though I expected something that doesn't exist. Also, I thought that when Alexi is scratching her neck she has a power or she will turn in to something (I sound crazy now I know, too much adventure eh?) But once again it doesn't do anything unhuman. Just to be clear... this is pure human.

I like the book, i like the characters and the story. I like how Alexi managed to overcome her fear and how Bodee makes her realize things and how she influenced him. This is inspiring and lovely. Both Alexi and Bodee found comfort to each other and from there the unexpected love story has been made. The book proves that you'll find the happiness if you let go of the things that bothered you. If you try to let go of the things that kept holding you back, you won't be standing in the dark waiting for the miracle to happen. Another thing is that, no matter how you hide things, there is still someone who you want to know about what's going on in your life and all you want from him/her is to listen and keep whatever your secret is but it is on the case to case basis because that someone could encourage you to be brave and do what he/she thinks is right (just like Bodee). The story is so lovely, I've been sad and happy while reading the book. 

Alexi, is just a simple girl. She has two friends which she hang out with and they kept trying to push her to dates so that she could have a boyfriend, but she doesn't even want it because she likes someone else, she doesn't even know about him. All she knows is that he kept writing on her desk, song lyrics which she also know. It became a habit to write lyrics everyday since they started that. Bodee, he has his own issues, his mother has been murdered by his own father. It was a cruel thing that happened to his family and he is having a trauma. He doesn't talk much and everyone pitied him (well who doesn't right?). Despite of him being quiet, he hid things on his own and he has something that makes him cool. 

For me the story isn't dull, it is beautiful and interesting at the same time. It is a story of heartaches, friendships, depressions and love. I enjoyed everything. There's more to their friendship and love story. I recommend this to the readers out there, hope you'll like it the way I did. 


My Ratings





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...