Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Book Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon


Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Expected Publication: September 1, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18692431-everything-everything 

This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
So I'm trying to compose my review about this book in my head but I can't find the right words for it. I was also having a hard time to make a good sentences on how I will describe the feeling I had when reading so I just decided to type it directly and whatever comes out in my head will just be written here. 

I was glad to be granted a copy of this book from NetGalley and of course from the publisher. I was really confused about the story and the cover of the book is just so attractive. The title made me question why it was "Everything, Everything" what's with everything? As I started reading, I found out the answer to my question. --- This review might have some spoilers so if you don't want to read those you can stop reading starting now (LOL) ---

Everything, everything is a story of a young girl who thought her life is right. She thinks she is sick and allergic to the outside world. All her life just revolves around her home, her mother and her personal nurse Carla since her brother and father died. She doesn't know the life and risks outside her home. Things changed when a guy named Olly moved in to the neighborhood. Everything was normal at first, they talk over IM but they decided to see each other. Since then, things changed.

When I finished reading the book the only phrase or thought that comes in to my head was "there are times that you'll think everything is right but when you start taking risks for your own good there are things that is much better than what you have right now". That was just out of nowhere but true, your life might be better now but on the other hand there is much better opportunities out there, if you don't seek for it you'll be stuck up forever.

The book is beautiful, it opens up your mind to something else. It was a light read but a fun, enjoyable one. I didn't get uninterested in any part of it, I love everything, from front cover up to the end. I actually had a hard time to put my phone down, even if I'm riding in a train I was reading it, I will stop only if I'm already at the station where I need to go down then I will start reading again in the office when I still have a time before the actual work started. In my opinion, I knew that the other readers will love this book too, I told this book to my friends and they immediately take a peek on my phone and read parts of the book and they said "beautiful story". I am hoping now that I could get a copy of this book from the local bookstores here in my country because I badly want to have one, like seriously!

I won't add anything more that will spoil the other readers, but then I hardly recommend this book to everyone, it is a great read swear. The story and the way it was written was perfect and fun. The book is amazing!!!

"Life is a gift. Don't forget to live it."

"Sometimes you have to leave the people who you love the most."

My Rating



Nicola Yoon grew up in Jamaica (the island) and Brooklyn (part of Long Island). She currently resides in Los Angeles, CA with her husband and daughter, both of whom she loves beyond all reason. Everything, Everything is her first novel.

Source: Goodreads
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...