Sunday, August 16, 2015

Book Review: Kick Push by Jay McLean


Title: Kick Push
Author: Jay McLean
Published: August 4, 2015

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25834515-kick-push

There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.

The moment I saw this book, I knew that I would love it like I loved her other book, "Where The Road Takes Me". This is the second book I've read from her and like the first time I didn't get disappointed in fact, I was so happy that I get a chance to read this book. I knew many people read it in advance, and I finished it late since I started like a week ago but the thought of reading it, finishing it makes me soooo happy. I was one of the people who luckily got an ARC but I wasn't able to post my review on time due to my personal schedule but now that I'm free, I finished it right away when I woke up this morning! Read first, fire truck the rest!!!

This type of book is the one you'll love right away and get hooked on. You'll see yourself just smiling because of Tommy! He's such a cute little kid. I can imagine so many little kids that have the same attitude as him. I won't forget his "Finger of peach", until now it makes me laugh. He's so adorable! Joshua, he's not perfect but for me he is. He's such a brave man standing up for his beliefs and sacrificing things just for the sake of his love ones. He's the one I could really call a man. Becca, she's incredible. She changed the lives of so many people around her just by existing. She made things a simple woman doesn't have the guts to do. She looooveees photography which I can badly relate! It's an awesome escape.

The way the book was written? It was like it happened in real life. It's like it has a root, a living person who really experienced being a single dad and undergo the same experiences with Joshua. The story was interesting and made it hard to not finish everything. I find myself getting really disappointed when I had to stop because I have to start working. I found myself reading it on the train going to work and even work breaks. I really got hooked in to it. Can this be a movie? I badly want it to be! I'm not sure what else to say, and what I've written above isn't because I was given an ARC but because I really enjoyed reading the book. It really made me cry, not all books makes me cry.

Awesome book Jay! The second book I've read from you and I just wow-ed. BUT, at some point, I was a little sad when I saw there will be another... cliffhanger! LOL. I'm actually excited for the sequel. Any hint when will it be out?! I want to read more Joshua and Becca story! They should have a happy ending.. or... oh please don't let someone die. (just don't)

ANYWAAAAYYYY... Kick Push is an awesome book from the very first time I started reading the first chapter up until the very last one. It's amazing and lovely, I could just fall in love with this book over and over.

"Nothing can replace a mother's love." 

"Sometimes the most basic of moments become your most treasured memories." 

"There's a big difference between being happy and being selfish. Choose to be happy. Fire truck the rest."





Jay McLean is the author of the More Series, including More Than This, More Than Her, More Than Him and More Than Forever. She also has two standalones coming soon titled Where The Road Takes Me, and Combative. 
Jay is an avid reader, writer, and most of all, procrastinator. When she's not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her two little boys, or devouring some tacky reality TV show. 
She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her laugh, make her smile, make her hurt, and make her feel.
For publishing rights (Foreign & Domestic) Film, or television, please contact my agent, Erica Spellman-Silverman, at Trident Media Group. (less)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...