Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Book Review: Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner



A contemporary novel about two best friends who must make tough decisions about their futures--and the TV show they host--in their senior year of high school.

Every Friday night, best friends Delia and Josie become Rayne Ravenscroft and Delilah Darkwood, hosts of the campy creature feature show Midnite Matinee on the local cable station TV Six.

But with the end of senior year quickly approaching, the girls face tough decisions about their futures. Josie has been dreading graduation, as she tries to decide whether to leave for a big university and chase her dream career in mainstream TV. And Lawson, one of the show's guest performers, a talented MMA fighter with weaknesses for pancakes, fantasy novels, and Josie, is making her tough decision even harder.

Scary movies are the last connection Delia has to her dad, who abandoned the family years ago. If Midnite Matinee becomes a hit, maybe he'll see it and want to be a part of her life again. And maybe Josie will stay with the show instead of leaving her behind, too.

As the tug-of-war between growing up and growing apart tests the bonds of their friendship, Josie and Delia start to realize that an uncertain future can be both monstrous...and momentous.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40645629-rayne-delilah-s-midnite-matinee

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. No payments made between me and the publisher.



Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee is the second book I've read from Jeff Zentner, the first was Goodbye Days both of the books never failed me. One moment you are reading happy scenarios and all, the next you are be crying and wiping tears from your eyes. Reading the first few pages of the book from my kindle confused me. I honestly didn't get the story at first, I almost stop reading it but I got curious and that's enough to push myself to read more. I glad I continue reading, as the story deepens, I understand more about the characters and why they do what they do ("the filming"). Then, I realized, after reading this book, people really hold on to something that would make us feel satisfied until, that only thing breaks right in front of you and you'll just crash. All you need are the people that truly cares for you, right? Hard to believe but that's the real life. 

Delia and Josie are best friends, really close to the point where you will think of them as sisters. The host Midnite Matinee together where they discuss or play some scary movies on TV six. Both of them enjoyed what they're doing but as they grow old, they do realize what they really wanted to do in their life, to do the show until they get old? or something else? 

I love the character of Delia and Josie a.k.a. Rayne Ravenscroft and Delilah Darkwood. I like how they step up for each other like their connected by blood. These two in my head were like twins (just being honest here). Reading this book was super chill. This is such an easy read and entertaining. I never dreamed of being in front of the camera but these two? hosting their own show... it was pretty amazing. I feel like Delia knows more scary movies than me no matter how fiction this book is (LOL). This girl (Delia), wants to see her dad someday and ask him what happened, why he left. She's broken and looking for a fatherly love. Josie is the kind of friend who's super supportive, hands down. She'll do everything for her friend. She maybe rich, and all but I think she's very humble on it. Another character from this book who I loved was Lawson, Josie's man. He wins the boyfriend of the year. He's super supportive to Josie and Delia. He was really cool on the friendship and he even joins the girls sometimes (does that exist in real life? I can hear people asking that right now. LOL). Anyway, the love story aside from the friendship was lovely. It was charming and impressive. Also, not only Josie can pull of the "I'll do anything for someone" move. 

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee is a must read.

"I bet life is easier when you don't have to worry about emotional attachments."

My Ratings

Jeff Zentner lives in Nashville, Tennessee. He came to writing through music, starting his creative life as a guitarist and eventually becoming a songwriter. He’s released five albums and appeared on recordings with Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Thurston Moore, Debbie Harry, Mark Lanegan, and Lydia Lunch, among others.

Now he writes novels for young adults. He became interested in writing for young adults after volunteering at the Tennessee Teen Rock Camp and Southern Girls Rock Camp. As a kid, his parents would take him to the library and drop him off, where he would read until closing time. He worked at various bookstores through high school and college.

He speaks fluent Portuguese, having lived in the Amazon region of Brazil for two years.


Source: Goodreads

 

1 comment:

  1. have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up You can visit https://nexter.org/ here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments and reading my blog! I highly appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...